Thursday, February 21, 2013

New Designs in Family and Living Rooms

I've been very busy this past week trying to get this house in order. It's a house that has great potential, just needs a few paint jobs here and there and some home decor that makes it more homely.

This is the Family Room. We had already owned the red sectional couch (which has extreme damage due to dogs on it all the time), the cat picture on the mantle, the fake tree plant and the TV. The rest was purchased as thrift stores or via craigslist finds.

The wall paint was "Oops" paint from Home Depot. That was $7 for a gallon. So, $21 to do all 3 colors in here (plus elsewhere in the house)! The vase with the fake flower was at Goodwill for $3. The pillows are all from Goodwill, also for $3 each. Why spend a ridiculous amount on pillows when you have kids and dogs to mess them all up? Makes no sense to spend a fortune like that. The TV entertainment system was $50 at a used furniture store I found here in Tucson. Not bad considering it's extremely sturdy and is very convenient for our son's Skylander collection. The fake book on the table was from Ross for like $6 and it keeps the TV remotes and Xbox controllers inside of it b/c sometimes the puppies like to chew things...



The next room is still in progress. It's the living room and no on is using it. Why? I think there's really no need for "two" family rooms, two rooms with couches and nothing different about it. I haven't decided yet if I want it to be a reading room, a toy room or what yet, but I know it can't be the exact same as the family room. Any ideas would be helpful!


The storage ottomans are not my favorite... at all. They looked so nice in the store though, but now they just looke like bulky black squares. And they have damage too so I don't know if I could sell them unless I fixed them up to make them super cute inside (like a fabric pattern).... And I think the end table needs to be a different color. I bought that at Goodwill for $20 and it was a disgusting smokey yellow. I put glass tiles on top of it but I can tell there's just too much clashing here. It helps to see it in a picture. Looking at it now it seems different but I guess it's not. 

Well, this below is my last pic for the day. This frame took me 5 hours yesterday and 30 minutes today to complete. I live in Arizona and to have pics of ... sailboats... is just ... unpleasant. There's no water anywhere near us and we had two of these. So I turned the sailboat image into a fabric design image. 

BEFORE


AFTER


I couldn't figure out how to put the wood outline frame pieces back together since they were a little oversized and had no idea how they slid into each other. I gave up about 30 minutes after being unable to figure out and tossed them. But the fabric is from a dress I got at Goodwill since I didn't have any of my own that I wanted to use. I have turned pictures that I didn't use before into something I am going to use. I now need to make the second one for the other side of the wall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment