Sunday, May 5, 2013

Kids Bathroom Remodeled at Less than $50 USD

Hey there,

When I went to work this morning on the kids bathroom and taking off the green masking tape for my stripe design I posted yesterday I was hating the color combo. It clashed way too much even though the colors, individually, are great. I guess it looked better on Pinterest or in my mind but Rich Navy and  Yellow did not work for me. I decided to use Charcoal Gray that I had in my leftover paints collection (yes, I do keep all of those!) and paint over the Navy.

After letting it dry for an hour, I applied another layer of paint and used a small painting brush to re-adjust the lines and my oopsies' marks and to fill in the corners with the gray paint. Using a large paint brush on the wall corners always messes me up and I get paint on the ceiling. You know that always ruins the job. Fortunately, I've learned to use a small brush for those corners and get a clean finish.

I must admit, I thought I was going to make my own shower curtain but Target just happened to have a clearance on 6 or 7 different shower curtains as low as $4 and high as $9. Shower curtains at Target usually range from $19.99 to $24.99 which is an okay price but I couldn't resist the $5.98 shower curtain that had a Black * White print - and no, it's not Zebra.

Ross is next door to my Target, which is quite nice for my shopping convenience. I bought a metal Wall Holder for $16.99 which was large enough to fit towels since my kids bathrooms has no wall space available for rods. Arizona houses are weird like that - they forget to make a bathroom convenient. I attempted to put up my towel holder with Molly bolts and that was a complete fail. The molly's broke while I was screwing it in and became permanently stuck in the wall so I just hammered it in all the way and redid it without Molly's. The job seemed to be easier to do without them even though every construction guy I know has said always use molly's - yeah? then why do they break so easily! Stupid plastic.

I also love love love the Salon and Body section that Ross has. This may sound absolutely dorky but I got Bath Bubble Soap and Handsoap in yellow, so it matched the colors of the bathroom. I know, I know but if it was purple, it would ruin "the look", ya know? Anyhow, those were $2.99 and $3.99.

To calculate my total cost in repainting and redecorating the kids bathrooms (although I still need bath rug, sink rug and I think I want a blue shower matte in the tub since it seems kinda dirty)...


  • Walmart - Yellow Oops Paint: $10.97 (+ AZ 9.1% Tax) = $11.97
  • Target - Shower Curtain: $5.98 (+ 9.1% Tax) = $6.52
  • Ross - Wall Hanger + Le Jardin Handsoap and Ardsley Honey Bubble Soap = $23.97 (+ 9.1% Tax) = $26.15
The total of the bathroom comes out to $42.46 

A Bath Mat at Target is $14.99, well the one I'm looking at in Blue is which is pushing my budget. I'm not sure if Ross has them but I think I've seen them there before. I want it long enough that it takes up the entire tub though so will need to measure! 

The bath rug and sink rug I can't decide what color I want - yellow, white or black. I have a few days to decide but today is not the day. 

Here's a picture of what my kids bathroom now looks like. 


I can't redo the cabinets since I'm a renter but I was given permission to change the wall colors and when my landlady visited me last, she loved the colors I chose for the house - so I think I'm in the clear. Plus, paint is one of the easiest things to change in a house. I'd love to put one of those cool circular mirrors in place of the large mirror but I don't want to break the glass...

Any how, I think I want a picture underneath the wall holder... seems like a big yellow spot but maybe it's just my camera viewpoint... Either way, I'm done for the day in there. Hopefully the kids will find it cool and want to actually use their own shower now... 






No comments:

Post a Comment